There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, January 23, 2014

My muse has fled to Havana.
She’s sitting in some low dive
smoking cigars and drinking rum
and telling Hemmingway lies.
She’s doing a dirty tango
with a sweaty stevedore.
She’s sleeping late and going broke
and thinking of being a whore.
She breakfasts on huevos rancheros
at  three in the afternoon,
then snorts a  little pick-me-up
from a pitted silver spoon.
She pins a gardenia in her hair,
paints crimson on her lips
and heads out for the cantina again
with a saucy sway to her hips.
Will she come back sad and broken
with venereal disease,
with the face of an old woman
and a nasty case of fleas?
Will I want her if she comes back
bitter, raddled, sour?
Do I want to write the things she’ll learn
in those shady, steamy hours?
My muse has fled to Havana
and wallows in her despair,
her genius mis-spent in a squalid life

with gardenias in her hair.

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog, my friend, and it's an absolute "Must-Follow". Your every word inspires me.

    ReplyDelete